Level of difficulty: Intermediate
Benefits of the course
Protect the health and safety of workers, reduce the risk of injury and be aware of your safety responsibilities.
This course provides essential instruction on safety for ALL personnel involved in storing, handling, working near, or supervising the use of, hot bituminous materials and asphalt.
The course consists of formal presentations, entertaining graphic demonstrations of hazards, and guidance on the selection and correct use of fire extinguishers.
It also covers risk minimisation strategies for common hazards present on bituminous surfacing sites including burns, boilovers, explosions, fire, inhalation of fumes and reversing plant.
The course consists of the following:
- Preparation to work with bitumen including hazard identification
- Risk minimisation strategies for common hazards present on bituminous surfacing sites including burns, boilovers, explosions, fire, inhalation of fumes and reversing plant
- Guidance and selection on the correct use of fire extinguishers
- First aid for bitumen burns, including first aid and procedures
- Site clean-up, including environmental requirements
Who should do this course?
Sealing and asphalt crews, tanker drivers and bitumen storage site operators Supervisors, managers, and non-field staff involved in directing others to use bitumen products.
This course also provides the knowledge component for the unit of competency RIICBS203E – Safely Handle Bituminous Materials. To complete the assessment and achieve a Statement of Attainment, refer to the list of endorsed RTO’s on the Industry Skills Card page. Please contact and liaise directly with the above RTO of choice to organise your assessment for this unit.
Click HERE to view upcoming courses.