Level of difficulty: Intermediate
Benefits of the course
Reduce reworks by applying quality principles and standards to the application of sprayed seals. As a purchaser ensure value for money by understanding and recognising the procedures that should be followed in the field to achieve a successful seal.
This course provides an introduction to the basic principles and field construction practices required to achieve a high standard of sprayed work. It also provides instruction on the calculations required to correctly determine material quantities, sprayer adjustments and rates of application.
Who should do this course?
Engineers and supervisors who are involved in supervision or surveillance of sprayed work, preparation of specifications and supervision of contract spraying.
At the conclusion of this course participants should be able to:
- list the bituminous materials, additives and modifiers used in sprayed work
- describe the procedures for their safe heating and handling
- outline the required methods for storage of aggregate for sprayed work
- recognise the required standard of preparation of surfaces for new works and retreatments
- describe the correct application techniques for priming, primersealing and sealing
- describe the correct procedures and practices for:
- sweeping the pavement
- loading and spraying bituminous materials
- loading, precoating, spreading and rolling aggregate
- protection of the work and structures
- monitoring performance of the work
- describe the main items of plant used and understand their operational functions
- explain the principles and perform the necessary calculations to determine the actual field rates of application of bituminous materials and aggregate
- identify potential difficulties/problems that may be caused by weather or traffic conditions, and explain how to deal with them.
Assessment is completed during course.
Course attendance is a pre-requisite of assessment.
Engineers Australia CPD
Engineers Australia members may record Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours for attendance at AfPA courses. Refer to Engineers Australia’s CPD Policy for requirements and conditions.
Types and conditions of CPD & Key CPD Requirements: http://bit.ly/1WkuYS6