RIICBS203E – Safely Handle Bituminous Materials
This course is part of the Flexible Pavement Industry Skills Card – Bitumen Safety training for working with Bituminous Materials and can only be completed through an AfPA endorsed RTO.
Details of the endorsed RTO’s are below.
The AfPA Endorsed / Industry Approved competency-based course has been designed by industry to meet the Austroads guidelines.
This course provides participants with the safety skills and knowledge for ALL personnel involved in storing, handling, working near, or supervising the use of, hot bituminous materials and asphalt. The course is suitable for anyone working within the proximity of hot bitumen or asphalt, such as sealing and asphalt crews, tanker drivers and bitumen storage site operators, supervisors, managers, contractors on a site, or plant and non-field staff involved in directing others to use bitumen products.
Theory based questionnaire, a logbook is to be completed and practical on-the-job assessment
The course consists of the following:
- Preparation to work with bitumen including hazard identification
- Risk minimisation strategies for common hazards present on bituminous surfacing sites including burns, boil overs, explosions, fire, inhalation of fumes and reversing plant
- Guidance and selection on the correct use of fire extinguishers
- First aid for bitumen burns, including first aid and procedures
- Site clean-up, including environmental requirements
Who should do this course?
Anyone working within the proximity of hot bitumen or asphalt
- Must have basic English literacy skills
- Complete the Be Bitumen Safe course through AfPA ($55.00 incl. GST). Further details can be found on the Australian Flexible Pavement Association (AfPA) webpage.
AfPA Endorsed RTO Providers
The RTO’s endorsed to deliver the units of competency under the Flexible Pavements Industry Skills Card are:
- Rudtek: https://rudtek.edu.au/afpa-approved/
- ATM: https://www.australiantraining.com.au/courses/afpa-endorsed/safely-handle-bituminous-materials
Please contact and liaise directly with the above RTO of choice to organise your training of this unit.