Course code: BSP301A
AfPA Members fee: $1350 incl GST
Non-members fee: $1755 incl GST
Level of difficulty: Introductory
Delivery method: Face-to-face
Duration: 3 days
Benefits of the course
Build a well-informed workforce with an understanding of how the industry works, the importance of quality work and the underpinning knowledge required to progress through the flexible pavement industry.
This course provides a detailed introduction to the design, construction and maintenance of flexible pavements, with a focus on asphalt and spray sealing. It demystifies the terminology used in the industry and provides an overview of all matters associated with bituminous surfacing for people with limited exposure to the industry.
It provides participants with a solid foundation on which to build their knowledge as they progress through the industry and attend AfPA’s more advanced courses.
The course includes a half-day site visit to an asphalt plant where participants will be guided through the production process.
Who should do this course?
Engineers, supervisors, technical officers and sales staff who are new to the industry and require a basic knowledge of bituminous materials, construction and maintenance procedures for flexible pavements.
At the conclusion of this course participants should be able to:
- use common terminology used in the roads industry
- describe common hazards
- list the attributes and limitations of various bituminous surfacings
- list the properties of the range of bituminous materials used in road construction and maintenance
- describe the properties of aggregates and other natural materials that influence their performance in flexible pavements, asphalt and bituminous surfacings
- describe the types of flexible pavements and provide an overview of how they are designed
- identify different asphalt mixes and their properties
- describe the principles for designing dense graded mixes
- list the different types of asphalt manufacturing plant and describe their operation
- describe the equipment used for laying asphalt and its proper use
- describe the equipment used to compact asphalt and its proper use
- identify different sprayed treatments and the inputs required for their design
- describe the sprayed seal planning and construction process
- list the common defects which occur in flexible pavements.
Assessment will be conducted throughout the course in the form of case studies.
Course attendance is recommended for all other AfPA industry relevant courses offered.
Engineers Australia CPD
Engineers Australia members may record Continuing Professional Development (CPD) hours for attendance at AfPA courses. Refer to Engineers Australia’s CPD Policy for requirements and conditions.
Types and conditions of CPD & Key CPD Requirements: http://bit.ly/1WkuYS6