Industry Card – Be Bitumen Safe Online Training
Level 1A, Be Bitumen Safe (BBS) online training, provides essential instruction on safety for ALL personnel being within 15 metres of hot bituminous materials and asphalt at any time.
This AfPA Endorsed / Industry Approved course forms part of the Flexible Pavement Industry Card introduced to provide consistent content within resources reviewed by industry.
Be Bitumen Safe Online Training must be completed as a pre-requisite to attend the National unit of competency RIICBS203E Safely Handle Bituminous Materials (RIICBS203E must be completed by and approved by AfPA RTO).
This course has been supported and mandated by the following State Road Authorities: MRWA, TfNSW, VDTP, ACTGov.
BBS is most compatible to be completed on a mobile (preferred device) and can be downloaded to be available off line. The training will work on a PC but the platform is not as user friendly.
Who should do this course?
Anyone requiring proof of the industry approved AfPA endorsed course being completed:
- External 3rd party contractors
- e.g. Electrician, mechanic, plumber, delivery
- Plant and non-field staff directing others
- Client, government and other agency reps
- Management and surveillance
- Visitors to site
At the conclusion of this course participants will have a basic understanding of:
- Bitumen basics
- The safety culture
- Identify basic hazards and risks associated with hot bitumen and asphalt
- First aid for bitumen burns, including heat stress and fatigue basic management
- What causes fire, explosion, fumes and vapours
- Using fire extinguishers
- The effects of water contamination, spills and leaks
- Personal safety and PPE